Monday, October 5, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Counting Downers by A.J. Compton




BLURB


Imagine if we could see how long everyone around us had left to live. But we weren’t allowed to know our own numbers… 

Trying to make sense of life after the death of her beloved father, free spirit Matilda Evans meets Tristan Isaacs and discovers a marrow-deep connection with him. 

No stranger to grief himself, lonely artist Tristan is in awe of Matilda’s fun and philosophical approach to life. With every second spent in her presence, he finds his views on life and loss changing, and begins to embrace the beauty of being alive. 

As their friendship turns into something deeper, lessons are learned, memories are made, and legacies are created. 

But with both of them knowing how long their soulmate has left in this lifetime, important questions have to be asked and tough decisions have to be made before time runs out.

The Counting-Downers is an inspiring story about life, loss, love, and making the most of every moment.


MY REVIEW
4.5/5 STARS


The moment I read the first line of this book, I was hooked. It was sooo intelligently written, fluid, and romantic. The premise was superb and the characters were full of depth and inspiration. I’m definitely adding AJ Compton into the short list of supple voices in romance that I will never tire of reading. 

Because nobody sees me like you do, and without you, I’ll be invisible. I exist because you see me. 

Matilda Evans thrived in control. She had to know what she was into before diving into them. Loss and pain did that to her. And sooner or later, she had to face it. I loved how relatable Matilda’s character was. What she felt was a direct cut out from what we all feel in life and love; feelings that we shove behind our heads, decisions that we fear facing, uncertainties that we never want to deal with. She was a colourful butterfly with colourful wings but she was held back by her doubts and her fear of falling. I loved her character development in this story. 

I loved him before I knew him. I missed him before I met him. We were soulmates long before we were strangers. 

Tristan Isaacs was a brave soul. Not because he chose to be but because he had to choice but to be brave. He was already a man before he was a boy and I loved growing up with him, and claiming dreams with him. 

Love is not standing in someone’s shadow; it’s basking in their light. 

This book was really perceptive. It wasn’t just romance, it was more. It made me think, feel, and contemplate on life. AJ Compton’s writing was superb. It was so easy-flowing and gripping at the same time. The message was direct and the plot was engrossing. Although the book contained a lot of insightful words and quotable quotes, there was still humor and a whole lot of romance on this one. It was sweet, tender, and heart-stirring. I can’t wait for more of her books! 

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.