Tuesday, October 27, 2015

ARC REVIEW: My Soul to Keep by Kennedy Ryan


TITLE: My Soul to Keep
AUTHOR: Kennedy Ryan
SERIES: Soul Series Book 1
RELEASE DATE: November 16, 2015

SYNOPSIS

It seems the things worth keeping are often the hardest to hold...

KAI

I had two things in life that mattered. My mother and my music. 
Mama was taken from me too soon, and now music is all I have left. It’s the thing that’s pushed me right out of backwoods Georgia into Los Angeles, where the line between fantasy and reality shimmers and blurs. I’m finally making my way, making my mark. I can’t afford to fall for one of music's brightest stars. Not now. Music is all I have left, and I’m holding on tight with both hands. I won’t let go, not even for Rhyson Gray.

RHYSON

I had one thing in my life that mattered – music. The only constant, it’s taken me to heights most people only dream about; a gift dropped in my lap at birth. I thought it was enough. I thought it was everything until I met Kai. Now she’s all I think about, like a song I can't get out of my head. If I have to chase her, if I have to give up everything - I will. And once she's mine, I won't let go.


MY REVIEW
5/5 STARS

“Sometimes we have to fight our way out of the dark because the light doesn’t come looking for us.”


Kennedy Ryan is one of my favourite voices ever. She proves it with every book she writes. I get immediately wrapped up in her story and completely forgetting time. No book of hers ever failed on that area. But with My Soul to Keep , she showed a different Kennedy Ryan that made me love her more.

The characters are both interesting, polar opposites but definitely equally poignant. I loved how the two of them were so different and yet so the same in some ways. Like they were molded for each other but they could stand on their own and still completely shine. 

Throughout the book, I felt this intense connection with the characters and the story. It was driven wonderfully by the masterful storytelling of the author and it was spellbinding. It’s like I couldn’t help it. The story was hypnotizing, it ran so fluid and was so effortlessly engaging that leaving a chapter was just impossible. It was definitely a book of #feels ; ranging from a mere spark of interest that tickled my heart, to tumultuous feelings that left me torn, to fervent emotions that I could hardly contain. There was not a single scene in this book that made me think of closing it. 

I’ve known Kennedy Ryan to have complicated characters trapped in complicated situations. But with Rhys and Kai, she enchanted me with a love that was free, passionate, straightforward, and irreplaceable. From the very beginning, Rhys owned Kai and Kai owned Rhys (but I totally loved the little arguments in between). My Soul to Keep is a keeper. It’s a book that I would read over and over. You have no idea how many times I’ve read this story but still felt every speck of emotions like it was my first time. 

Yet again, Kennedy Ryan captured everything I want in the book and more. Great characters, great romance, humor, steam, amaaaaaazing secondary characters, fluid plot, poignant background stories, and excellent writing. One of my top books this year!

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.