Sunday, December 21, 2014

Book Review: Three Weeks with Lady X (Desperate Duchesses #7) by: Eloisa James

 SYNOPSIS:
 
Having made a fortune, Thorn Dautry, the powerful bastard son of a duke, decides that he needs a wife. But to marry a lady, Thorn must acquire a gleaming, civilized façade, the specialty of Lady Xenobia India.

Exquisite, head-strong, and independent, India vows to make Thorn marriageable in just three weeks.

But neither Thorn nor India anticipate the forbidden passion that explodes between them.

Thorn will stop at nothing to make India his. Failure is not an option.

But there is only one thing that will make India his—the one thing Thorn can't afford to lose...

His fierce and lawless heart.

MY REVIEW: 
 
The moment I started reading this book, I had a hunch that it will a good read. I was wrong. Good was an understatement. Exceptionally great would cover the feeling but not quite. I might need a few hundred synonyms of great and exceptional to describe the book.
Lady India and Lord Thorn are interesting characters that showed a facade that I wanted so much to rip and explore. Both of them face social expectations that led into their own personal issues and I loved how Miss Eloisa carefully balanced the insecurity and pride of the characters. Lord Vander, a secondary character in the story had me at, “I don’t care if she looks like an apple seller. I want to feel passion for the woman I marry.” I can't wait for his story!!!
Thorn's claim that India was made for him towards the end of the story was evident since their first meeting. In fact, I felt the strong connection between the two of them even before they met. The progress of their relationship was like raging bulls trying to break out, held only by a barrier of not fully knowing each other. But when the feelings were out, wow, the emotions were disarming.
Another thing that I could say, if I had not said enough, was that each scene was perfectly timed. I loved how Miss Eloisa did an oops-it's-not-time-for-us-to-do-this-yet feeling between Thorn and India even if the attraction was already evident. That built the anticipation throughout the book. But the great thing was while I was anticipating for Thorn and India's next encounter, the preceding scenes have kept me entertained until "the anticipated" came. At that moment I thought that maybe Miss Eloisa is an expert at making beverages because she so beautifully stirred my emotions at the exact flavor I want it to be stirred. Or maybe even more.
No scene was boring and skip-worthy. No dialogue was useless and careless. Everything was perfectly in place. How great (plus 200 other synonyms) was the story? Let's just say that after reading the book, I took a moment to pause and stare at our ceiling to allow myself to just feel the whirlwind of emotions I just experienced. Eloisa James never fails.

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.