Sunday, December 21, 2014

Book Review: One to Hold (One to Hold #1) by Tia Louise

 
SYNOPSIS:
 
Derek Alexander is a retired Marine, ex-cop, and the top investigator in his field. Melissa Jones is a small-town girl trying to escape her troubled past.

When the two intersect in a bar in Arizona, their sexual chemistry is off the charts. But what is revealed during their "one week stand" only complicates matters.

Because she'll do everything in her power to get away from the past, but he'll do everything he can to hold her.    
 
MY REVIEW:
 
This is the first time I tried a book written by Tia Louise. Initially, the cover caught my attention so I checked it out and I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis. As a debut novel, it’s actually great! I cannot find a tinge of novelty in the author’s writing prowess. Her play with words was entertaining and will keep you grasping the book and continue reading until you reach the end.
The characters were remarkable and unexpected, which are two qualities that I seek in each book I read. Derek was a male alpha oozing with sex appeal and dominance.  Every female reader would immediately love Derek because, well, he’s sexy as hell. But then I ended up completely falling in love with him as I got to know him in the story. He had a firm personality but a softness of a man who can render a woman with the love she deserves. The love Melissa deserved...and wanted. Melissa was a surprising character for me. When I began reading the book, I thought she was just some sad and lonely girl with insecurities dealing with a semi-shitty life and a fucked-up relationship. But wow, I did not see Sloan coming! That blew me away and as the story progressed, I admired the strong, sophisticated, and loving woman that she is.  
There was a definite and undeniable heat between Derek and Melissa that was already defined from the first meeting. They were two lonely people who both needed some heat and excitement in their life and they took that plunge the instant they felt the connection. A thirst for a mere bodily satisfaction turned into a more intense need for each other. I loved their connection physically and emotionally. Melissa fills the space in Derek’s life and vice versa. They were just perfect for each other.
However, I felt like the pace of the story was faster than the other novels and in some instances, I didn’t feel the essence of the moment. The attraction was strong but at some point, I felt that it was rushed and that it should have been allowed to grow into something deeper rather than immediately concluding it as a consuming love. I needed something more from Derek and Melissa. Maybe a depth in their love and relationship. Maybe a deeper access in their personal life, I don’t know. There were moments that I wanted to last but then it was so fast-paced that I wasn't able to revel on the feeling. Nevertheless, it didn’t really ruin the relevance of the story. Overall, it was a great read!

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.