Sunday, December 21, 2014

Book Review: Grayson by Lisa Eugene

 SYNOPSIS:
 
An insane love that will keep you from falling—-or push you right off the edge.

All she needed was a job…
The last thing twenty-four year old grad student Angie Roberts needs is to worry about her new boss’s father. After all, she’s never even seen him. He remains sequestered upstairs in a house that looks like it should be the main feature in an episode of Hoarders. She had no idea the house was such a dump when she took the job. But she’s concerned about the safety and health of the old man living under such horrid conditions.

What she got was a mystery…
Despite warnings not to venture upstairs, she wanders up to the second floor. What she sees is shocking. The man she finds is a gorgeous, sexy, middle-aged man— and he’s stepping out of the shower. But something is definitely not right. Why would this wealthy, handsome man live in a house in such disrepair while his nine-teen year old son resides in a lavish penthouse? Why does he hide away from society? Why does he come to her rescue and then run away?

What she discovered was heartbreaking…
Angie learns that forty-four year old Grayson Whitmore suffers from schizophrenia. Paranoid, he retreats into his own world.

What she ended up with was a treasure…
Angie is determined to get through to Grayson. They form a friendship that blazes into an inconceivable love fired with raging passion. Angie must now come to Grayson’s rescue because the wicked that has been perpetrated on him is unconscionable. First, though, she must gain the trust of a man whose mind does not allow for such a thing.

MY REVIEW:
My friend gave me an ebook of Grayson by Lisa Eugene as a gift. This is also my first Lisa Eugene book.

I thought I have read all kinds of stories given my vast collection of books and my huge interest in unique stories. In a story, I’ve always been interested with the nature of the characters, their pasts, and basically the full psychology of the person. I seldom find a story (romance, at that) that features a character who suffers from a mental illness. I’ve read about characters with PTSD, depression, and anxiety but NEVER about schizophrenia.

I was taken aback when I read that Grayson, the lead male character in the story, suffered from paranoid schizophrenia (faults of not reading the teaser first). It had me staring at the screen for about a minute, trying to make sure if I read it right. To be honest, right then and there, I became quite defensive. As a psychology major, I’ve learned throughout my four years in college that schizophrenia isn’t an easy mental illness and it should not be taken lightly. It’s one of the most complex, if not the most, mental disorder stated in the DSM V. I thought the writer was just playing around with the illness. But alas, Miss Lisa proved me wrong.

Miss Lisa took Grayson’s illness seriously. She wrote the book beautifully and carefully, not leaving out details that would mislead a reader about schizophrenia. She wrote it so perfectly that it may change a reader’s view about schizophrenia. Because let’s face it. In this world, people with mental illness are avoided, if not ridiculed. And this novel will open your eyes that these people are not totally indisposed. If they are rendered with the right treatment and medication, they could function as normal as us. For all the years learning about human behavior, I have always tried my best to open the eyes of people about mental illness and other psychological disorders. I have always sought to become a catalyst to understanding these people. And Miss Lisa Eugene, you have made that huge step.

I salute you, Miss Lisa. You are an amazing writer and person. From page one until the very end, you got me flipping pages, wondering how Grayson and Angie could ever end up together. Your writing style is enchanting, this coming from a person who personally dislikes novels written in first person. I cannot point out exactly what placed me into a non-stop read-a-thon with Grayson. Whether it’s Grayson’s reserved charm or Angie’s enthusiasm or the interesting relationship they shared with each other. All I know is that it’s worth reading and it’s worth spreading. This book is a gem.

This is about a person whose family and friends have probably lost hope in seeing him happy and function normally, much less in love. Grayson has probably even given up on that dream himself. But when Angie came to his life and triggered his sanity, Miss Lisa Eugene proves to you that a man’s sanity may root from a woman’s unconditional love.

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.