Thursday, June 23, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Into the Tomorrows by Whitney Barbetti


Title: Into the Tomorrows
Author: Whitney Barbetti
Series: The Bleeding Hearts Series # 1
Release Date: June 16th, 2016

Synopsis 

I was born in sadness, which was just the beginning of a solemn and desolate life. I'm no stranger to pain—none of us are. The night I held my best friend's hand as she died, I understood true agony. And I never thought I'd feel happiness again.

But that was so long ago...

Moving to Colorado to be with Colin, my high school sweetheart, was the perfect way to start over and rekindle what had begun to fizzle. I wanted that spark to ignite, to burn in passion and desire. Instead, I found myself falling for Jude, my boyfriend's roommate. He’s the only person who understands my soul, who can breach the walls I’ve built. But I can't have him.

Because I'm Trista Kohl, and my destiny is sorrow.

My Review
5/5 Lost Stars!

There is no doubt that Whitney Barbetti is really one of my literary goddesses. This woman knows how to capture simple emotions and draw depth from them. Into the Tomorrows was a consuming read; something that will keep you thinking, feeling, and anticipating. So addictive and hard to put down! 

“You’re not Trista the sad; you’re Trista the unknown.”

Trista never had a clear picture of the kind of woman she was. She was always attached to someone, always part of another. So when she was in the process of losing both of her other halves, she felt lost. Now on the quest of standing independently on both feet, Trista finds herself, yet again, dangerously attached to a man whose ability of making her feel special consumed her. Trista’s depth was addicting. Being able to feel and experience with her felt like a number of first times. It was like the first breath after a flight or the first heartbeat after a first kiss; all too exhilarating and palpable. 

I’d had this feeling about Jude, like he could upend my life without really trying to. That I could fall in love with him without meaning to.

Jude always needed to feel alive. And he sought that life atop mountains, bordering the trees. He always seems like he needed to go extreme; to prove something, feel something, and discover something. Jude’s adventurous soul was such an inspiring feat in this book. He represented trust and security, the beauty of success in taking risks. But meeting and feeling with Trista was the most intense adventure he’s ever been in, and losing her might be the only adventure that could endanger his heart.

“You’re hungry—you’re starving. And I wish you didn’t make me want to feed you.”

The slow, seeping emotions in this book was absolutely addicting. Whitney Barbetti did a wonderful job in establishing an unpredictably gripping plot with this one. The main focus was not the romance but the characters’ search for something deeper, the hunger for something more. I loved the courage and risk Jude’s character inspired, contrasting Trista’s safe and lost one. And unexpectedly, these two souls combined was a poignant mess of hope, brokenness, scars, and love. Into the Tomorrows is an immensely satisfying read and I can’t wait for more!

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.