Thursday, March 12, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Step-lover by Bella Jewel

 TITLE: Step-lover
AUTHOR: Bella Jewel
GENRE: New Adult
RELEASE DATE: March 9, 2015

 photo synopsisx2_zpsn9mcb3rl.jpg


 You’ll only ever have one forbidden love.

Care to know why?

Because when you find it, forbidden love that is, you’ll forget everything else. You’ll forget your first kiss. You’ll forget the first boy who made you smile. You’ll forget all the bad, and remember all the good. You’ll forget that it’s wrong. You’ll forget that it hurts. You’ll forget everything that came before him.

Forbidden love, it has a way of changing you. The secrets. The lies. The guilt. You want something so much you no longer care about the world around you. The passion takes away the pain. I’ve felt it. I’ve lived it. I didn’t need it, but it chose me.

I met him before I knew. I loved him before I knew.

I didn’t know that he was my stepbrother. I knew I had stepbrothers, but I didn’t know he was one of them. Now I know, I have to walk away. My mom, she deserves this happiness so much more than I do. If she ever knew…it would destroy her.

You have to understand why.

I saw my father die right in front of my tiny, eight year old eyes. He took my sister with him. All that’s left is my mother and I. She’s found her happy place, the only place she’s had since our worlds were destroyed.

So you see, I can’t have him.

I can’t want him.

But there’s this problem with passion, and love, and destiny.

It doesn’t give you a damned choice.
 photo my review_zps0x5y6u94.jpg
 photo 3_zpsvvj8a0fv.jpg



To be honest, I was kind of having second thoughts in reading this book because I thought the step-siblings storyline was a bit awkward. This is my first step-brother book and I have to really say that I enjoyed the story. The author had a way of establishing character connections without damaging or overwhelming the main plot. She emphasized the feelings and the chemistry of the characters without forgetting that they’re step-siblings. Sort of like incorporating reality with idealism.

This isn’t fair, and I can’t cope with it. He has every right to ask me to stay away, and I’m not angry at him for it, I’m just angry that after all this time I can’t look at him and not want to be in his arms.

Aria had two pasts she wanted to get over with. One was witnessing the death of her father and her twin sister. The other was spending one wonderful night and falling in love with a guy she will never see again. Until one day she did see him again...as her step-brother. Aria’s back story was heart-melting. That trauma was the tinge of weakness amidst her rather admirable character. She was smart, loving and funny. I loved the way she was with Ripley and Brody.

“I know the way I’ve behaved is jacked, but I can’t keep standin’ here watching you and knowing I can’t have you. I don’t know what you changed in me, but it was somethin’.”

It only took a one-night-stand with an amazing girl to ruin all other girls in the world for Blade. One special girl made a difference. One special girl managed to crack his heart. One special girl changed something in him. And she had to turn out to be his step-sister. A couple of times in the book, I really hated Blade. And yet there were many times when I loved him too. This love-hate relationship I had with him was one of the things that kept me flipping through the pages.

Love finds us for reasons unknown and when it finds us, it latches on.

I expected to feel weird reading this story but I didn’t. I really thought it would feel like a total taboo, falling for a step-brother like that. But I guess what Nancy said was right, it wasn’t ideal but it wasn't wrong. I love the writer’s prose. It has a way of drawing a reader in and just commands you to keep reading. The push-pull between Aria and Blade was attractively annoying and the little unexpected turn of events have fueled my determination to keep reading until it's finished. Unfortunately, I kind of felt rushed towards the end of the book.

I was disappointed with how quick they managed to accept things in the end when they were presented with several similar chances on previous scenes in the book. Somehow, it made me feel like some scenes were unnecessary.

All in all, it was a good read. I reeaaallly loved the characters. They all captured my interests. But frankly I was kind of more interested with Brody and Melissa than Aria and Blade so I’m definitely looking forward to the next one!


 photo sig_zpsqlz7ugii.jpg

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.