Thursday, March 12, 2015

ARC REVIEW: Consolation (The Consolation Duet #1) by Corinne Michaels

TITLE:  Consolation
SERIES: The Consolation Duet #1
AUTHOR: Corinne Michaels
GENRE: Contemporary/New Adult Romance
RELEASE DATE: March 18, 2015

 photo Synopsis_zpspsdkas8l.jpg 

Liam wasn’t supposed to be my happily ever after.
He wasn’t even on my radar.
He was my husband’s best friend—forbidden.

But my husband is dead and I’m alone. I ache for him and I reach for Liam.

One night with Liam changed everything. Now I have to decide if I truly love him or if he’s just the consolation prize.


 photo REVIEW_zpsfrjzfpc8.jpg 

5 STARS 


Ever felt like wanting to finish a book but wanting it to last at the same time? That feeling where you’re going crazy wanting to know what happens but at the same time wanting the pages to be endless so you could just stay with these compelling characters? I felt that way reading this gem. Corinne Michaels definitely outdid herself with this one! I loved The Belonging Duet but Consolation just blew me away!

I’m alive in his arms. His touch elicits the part of me I closed off to come back and ignite.

Liam Dempsey was a self-assured man. He was smart, cunning, loyal, kind-hearted...and he just fell in love with his dead best friend’s wife. I love how Liam’s character diverted from a clichéd hero. He was honest and upfront but he was patient and understanding. His charm was effortless but it will catch you off guard and will create a whirlpool of love and admiration for the kind of man that he was.

She looks at me like I’m saving her. I wish she knew how much she is saving me.

Natalie Glicher was a woman strengthened by faith and experience. Even if she was faced with life-changing events in her life, she stood her ground and fought the tempting urge to break down. What I really loved about Natalie’s character was that she never played the damsel-in-distress. She cried and got mad but she never used her situation to look down on herself. She was so courageous, patient, and had a heart large enough to sacrifice her own time with her husband for the safety of many. Natalie was the perfect personification of a SEAL wife.

Maybe that’s why it feels so easy, because it’s right.

It amazes me how Miss Corinne created the flame of love between Liam and Natalie without making Aaron appear “less-loved”. The chemistry wasn’t immediately electrical but rather a progression from fondness to a deeper kind of attachment until it reached the peak of unconditional love.

I don’t know the exact word to describe what I feel towards this story. I loved it, enjoyed it, cried about it, and laughed with the characters but there’s a tinge of profundity that I cannot put into words. It has kept me up for hours; feeling like every second away from the story was suffocating me. Corinne Michael’s writing prose is addictive. I never felt the need to check how far I am in the story because I didn’t have a single intention of stopping or even pausing. I don’t want to compare it to her first two books but I have to really note that there was something more compelling about this story, a depth that will pull a reader in the book and feel so much.

You'll know the story wasn't just a story but a mirror of a hero's wife's feelings. The fears, the depth, and the emotions were so affectively real. The way it was written was so fluid, seemingly effortless, yet hits every kind of emotion every scene intends to touch. The sheer perfection of the story's progression was slow and easy yet utterly affective.



 photo _sig_zpssor956sd.png

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.