Sunday, February 15, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Love Hurts (Caged #1) by Mandi Beck

SYNOPSIS

Even when she won’t fight for us, I’ll go to war for her…

Inside the Octagon, I have no fear. I’m at home, in my element, inflicting pain onto men trained to hurt me just as badly. Making them submit, knocking them out, maiming them, because it’s them or me. And I choose them.

Outside the Octagon, my only weakness is a five-foot-two, classy as fuck woman that I’ve loved for most of my life. She’s the one that brings me to my knees, fills my arms, my heart, and one day soon, my bed. She makes me reckless. Volatile. I drink too much and try too hard to fuck my way out of feeling—all because of her.

Frankie De Rosa is my girl, my best friend. I haven’t earned her yet, but I won’t stand by and let anyone take her from me. She will be the greatest fight of my life, but she’s worth the battle.

Love hurts, but anything worth having does, right?

I’m Deacon “The Hitman” Love — Welcome to the Cage.

MY REVIEW 

5 STARS


Debut novel or not, this book just totally blew me away. I found no tinge of novelty in the writer’s prose. Each word seared deep and each scene wonderfully stimulated the moment's target emotions and maybe even more. The progress of the story fluctuated beautifully, snatching your heart one minute and healing it the next. Mandi Beck created consistently real characters that stuck up to me and gripped me completely while I was reading this book.

I can’t be someone I’m not, but I can be the man that loves you because that’s the man that I am.

Deacon Love is an all-out alpha professional MMA fighter. I freaking adore how this hot-tempered, dirty-talking, closet Romeo was constructed. This character got into me so deep. He was a potential douche to other women but his honest and unbeatable love for Frankie just totally owned me. Being in his point of view was both painful and poignant. He’s not the kind of guy who will use clichéd romantic lines to get to a girl, he was a man sure of his feelings who will tell you exactly how he felt and the words will just seep in and consume your very soul.

My body craves his touch no matter what my mind is trying to convince me of.

Francesca “Frankie” De Rosa was a sweet and spicy mix of elegance and strength. She was a woman who went through a lot but still managed to keep everything inside her. Contrasting Deacon’s sure and unquestionable feelings for her, Frankie was confused and scared of what she felt for him. The mystery enveloping Frankie’s personality has kept me hooked. I would love to read more about her on the next book!

“Even when she won’t fight for us, I’ll go to war for her.”


Their story is heartbreaking and complicated but the chemistry between them enflames every scene. It started out with the poignant and raw feelings Deac had towards Frankie, and her seemingly obvious denial of what she felt for him. Reading Deac’s point-of-view was more affective than Frankie’s but I have a feeling that her part would be elaborated on the next book. I must really say that the raw pain of jealousy and unrequited love surged deeper when told in a man’s point of view. Or maybe it was just Mandi Beck’s spellbinding and gut-wrenching prose that had me feeling. This is definitely a must-read! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK! I was literally sobbing on our floor when I found out this was a cliffy. HOLY HELL. I NEED MORE DEAC (sounds so dirty).
 


post signature

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.