Friday, February 27, 2015

ARC REVIEW: The Perception by Adriana Locke

 photo Synopsis_zpspsdkas8l.jpg  
There is no greater burden than a secret, and Kari Stanley has been carrying one alone for a long time. But fate intervenes in the form of a broken down car and the kind offer of assistance from a handsome stranger with a sweet, southern drawl. In exchange, all she has to do is go to dinner with him. Temptation was never so sweet.

Max Quinn has secrets of his own. His good deeds aren't just a product of his southern upbringing; they're his atonement. As one dinner turns into two, he realizes that Kari just might be his salvation.

As they struggle to find their path together, their secrets weigh heavier on them. Will they be able to trust one another with the truth, or will their secrets keep them apart forever?
   photo REVIEW_zpsfrjzfpc8.jpg

5 STARS


CAUTION: Mild Spoiler Alert

You know that feeling when you just ended a book and you lay semi-limp, staring at your ceiling, and thinking, “Yep. Five stars.” I felt that way after reading this book. I cannot put it down and I even had to re-read some scenes because I just really loved them. It appears that Adriana Locke still has me wrapped around her perfect mix of dreamy yet realistic characters, and her easy-going yet emotionally stirring prose.

“I’m Max Quinn, the man that can service any and all of your needs.”

Maxwell Jacob Quinn was Mr. Right. He does right things, think the right things, and strives to be the right person for everything he does. He was a man of integrity, justice, and...dammit he’s sexy as hell. I need a Max Quinn in my life. Not just because he can burn the sheets making love to you but because of what he does before it, after it, and every bit of time where he’s present in your life. I loved how he gets el commando in the bedroom but unleash his soft side in little thoughtful things. Every detail about Max Quinn was made to be loved. Actually, it’s more of: every detail about Max Quinn will leave you no choice but to love him. No regrets here!

I had not promised him forever. Truth be told, I hadn’t guaranteed him tomorrow.

Kari Stanley was Miss What-If. A cloud of doubt had been swirling inside her head caused by a painful experience in her past. She refused to get too attached so it will be easier to let go. Even if she knew letting Max go was near impossible. Kari was a surprise for me. In the first book, she seemed to be happy and carefree, always brought sunshine everywhere she went. Little did I know that she lived in a dark cloud behind her sun. And the fact that she was able to hide that showed how strong she was as an individual. But of course, her strength did not encompass the ability to resist Max Quinn.

“Sweetheart, you and me—we’re permanent.”

Truth be told, I cannot single out scenes that “stood out” because each time I think of one, it’s followed by another, and then another, and at the end of the list I’ll just realize that I just summarized the full book. If you’re a keen reader, each scene is really a delight. The little gestures Max did for Kari, the specific details they knew about each other, and the sexy things they do together are actually the things that really got me into the book. Yes, I guess this is Adriana Locke’s forte, making every little thing and scene special. Her characters needn’t mind-blowing and extravagant scenes to stand out because their charm alone was so effortlessly gripping. With the amount of books that I’ve read, I am happy to note that the scenes weren’t clichéd. There were still moments and gestures that I found unique and refreshing, facts and responses that I wasn’t expecting. And as a reader, it’s important to me that there’s something new in something as predictable as romance. Five permanent stars from me!
   photo _sig_zpssor956sd.png

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.