Wednesday, February 4, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: High Strung (Power Station #1) by T. Gephart

SYNOPSIS:

Ashlyn Murphy was not living the dream. Twenty-seven years old, college educated, up to her eyeballs in debt and yet she’d been relegated to pouring beers at a local bar. She desperately needed an out and was willing to do anything to get back into the corporate world. Well, almost anything. Dan Evans, Rock Star was NOT one of those things. In fact she despised him. Apparently he didn’t get the memo.

Dan Evans, bass player of international rock band Power Station had it all. He was rich, travelled the world, played to millions of adoring fans and had no shortage of beautiful women willing to share his bed. He didn’t need a moody redheaded knockout with a superiority complex complicating his life. Or did he?

When two people who couldn’t be more opposite cross paths, it’s bound to be explosive; sometimes all you can do is sit back and enjoy the show.


MY REVIEW: 

5 STARS


This book was pure fun! When I started reading it, I definitely didn’t stop until I reached the end. The characters were entertaining, and were definitely gifted with fun and quick wits. Miss Gephart’s writing prose is absolutely entertaining, engrossing, and definitely prevented me from leaving this book unfinished!

What was it about this girl that was turning my brain into a pretzel?

Dan Evans knew every girl who worshiped their band wanted to have sex with him, or at the very least, attracted to him. He was a first-class douche that I adore so much. The extent of his “doucheness” was carefully curved into a very attractive and charming kind, and was one of the greatest highlights of this book. Dan’s annoyingly enjoyable lines had me flipping pages. He was so sure of himself, so vocal about his hotness, and so playful. So when a woman showed the most outward dislike towards him, he was determined to prove her wrong.

I wasn’t a prude and I wasn’t boring, I was a realist.

Ashlyn Murphy was struggling to get out of her current job in hope of a better life with this important interview and she sure did not have time for a rockstar telling her that her tits were smaller than usual. Miss Gephart just totally encapsulated what I love about a heroin with Ash. She was strong, intelligent and hard-working but she also shared her own share of insecurities and heart. She showed her own kind of beauty dealing with Dan like a pro!

“Honestly, babe, I have no idea what I am doing here. I have no fucking clue but I know I would rather have no sex and sleep beside you all night than be screwing a whole bunch of random girls. I know it’s not romantic but it’s all I’ve really got.”

As the story progresses, I found myself really enjoying Ash and Dan’s banters. Every moment was priceless and every encounter was sheer delight. The pull between them played nicely and intensely, in-one with the sweet and smooth progress of the story. There were no boring moments! Even the secondary characters were really fun.

One downside that I felt, though, was that it deserved a better ending. I felt that the ending was rushed. But there’s a second book so maybe what I want to see on Ash and Dan’s ending will be there. I can’t wait for the next book!
 

post signature

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.