Sunday, September 4, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Blood to Dust by L.J. Shen


Title: Blood to Dust
Author: LJ Shen

B L U R B

His name is Beat, and I should hate him.

Bound, blindfolded and bruised, I'm tied in his basement, waiting for the men who stripped me from clothes and humanity to collect his debt to them. Me.

His name is Nate and I should hate him, but I don't.

I'm not supposed to know his real name, even worse, I'm not supposed to care. He is nothing to me but means to an end. The plan is simple: break free, collect the pieces of my broken soul, kill the bastards and run away.

His name is Nathaniel Thomas Vela, and I've never seen his face, though I hear that it's beautiful.

Behind the rugged and handsome exterior, there's a quiet murderer, a killer who thinks guns are for pussies and ends people with his bare hands.

His name doesn't matter, neither does his face, but what does matter is my heart. And right now, sadly, it's his.

Blood to Dust is a standalone, full-length novel. It contains graphic violence and adult situations some may find offensive. 

M Y   R E V I E W 
5/5 STARS

“Dance with your demons, love carelessly. Selflessly. And most importantly, love yourself, even at your worst.”

This book was angst personified! My, if it’s possible to have a heart-attack while reading a book, this one could totally put a number on me. My first LJ Shen book and it sure as hell won’t be my last. 

“Lift your head up, Baby-Cakes. Don’t let your crown fall."

From the upper realms of society, Prescott Burlington-Smyth was viewed as an ambitious fragile princess sitting on her family’s throne. But the strength and persistence of this woman was beyond imaginable. Her ability to reign in her emotions and compartmentalize her experiences was one that is not typically scene in a captive heroine. Prescott was a break from the preppy damsels-in-distress. She was intelligent, fearless, sassy, and an absolute badass. 

“I’ll be whatever you want me to be. Wild, gentle, good, bad, rough, delicate. Your pick.”

If Nate Vela was taken into face value, he was a dream. But he definitely knew what it was like to live a nightmare. Coming from the wrong side of town, Nate was no longer new to violence, manipulation, and abuse by the powerful rich people of the society. His character was so overwhelming, so utterly complex but I couldn’t help but fall for him. He was trapped in the deadly food chain and he needed to hide that scorching heart he had underneath his muscles to stay on the right track. 

“Us,” I rasp. “We’re beautiful and ugly and broken. . .and whole.”

First, their love story is so fucking inconvenient. But I guess, that was what drove this book into an intense height. Two people on the polar opposite of the society finds a common goal powered by love, lust, and vengeance. That alone marvelously stirred this story. But minced with the intense, powerful, and gritty spark between Prescott and Nate, every reader is on for a whirlwind of emotions. Blood to Dust has definitely brought a whole new level of angsty feels for me. Dark, gritty, sexy, and twistedly good! 

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.