Wednesday, January 21, 2015

BOOK Review: For the Love of the Duke (The Heart of a Duke #1) by Christi Caldwell





SYNOPSIS

After the tragic death of his wife, Jasper, the 8th Duke of Bainbridge buried himself away in the dark cold walls of his home, Castle Blackwood. When he’s coaxed out of his self-imposed exile to attend the amusements of the Frost Fair, his life is irrevocably changed by his fateful meeting with Lady Katherine Adamson.

With her tight brown ringlets and silly white-ruffled gowns, Lady Katherine Adamson has found her dance card empty for two Seasons. After her father’s passing, Katherine learned the unreliability of men, and is determined to depend on no one, except herself. Until she meets Jasper…

In a desperate bid to avoid a match arranged by her family, Katherine makes the Duke of Bainbridge a shocking proposition—one that he accepts.

Only, as Katherine begins to love Jasper, she finds the arrangement agreed upon is not enough. And Jasper is left to decide if protecting his heart is more important than fighting for Katherine’s love.

MY REVIEW 

4.5 Stars 

I did not expect this book to touch me so much. Reading the teaser left me unsuspecting with the story line, giving me the initial reaction that it might be cliched. But Christi Caldwell delivered the familiar storyline with such a unique breath of writing and interesting scenes that had me enjoying each flip of the book. Her characters captured my interests, entertained me, made me cry, and hope throughout the story.

Over the years, Jasper had embraced the stark coldness that filled him.
Jasper Waincourt, 8th Duke of Bainbridge was a character I was really interested with. With a stern and stoic personality, a single smile and affection he exhibited had me smiling at weird hours of the day. Christi Caldwell constructed him with a hard-wired, arrogant role that each expression from him felt priceless for me as a reader. Jasper lived a miserable life after witnessing the death of his wife and child. That circumstance had him branded as the Mad Duke and he religiously lived it, thinking he deserved the misery of the title. Jasper sworn he will never allow himself to experience that dark moment again by staying in the dark. But then a stroke of light entered his life. A light as white as snow....

She reminded him of the fresh innocence he'd possessed, of a simpler time, of the joy he'd known, before his world had fallen apart.
Lady Katherine Adamson possessed the lady spunk that I love in my kind of heroines. She's a kind soul with a loving heart but she possessed an admirable strength of tenacity and the willingness to sacrifice. She spoke her mind when needed and allowed her temper to play when she believes it's necessary. I enjoyed her time-to-time "explosions" as they took Jasper off-guard. Hah. When her father died and left their family financially "shaky", Katherine knew she had to do the next move. With their eldest sister married to a marquess, Katherine didn't want her family to solely depend on them so she sought out her sister Anne's advice on finding an enchanted necklace that will help her have the heart of a duke. Little did she know that she has found him the same day she found the necklace.

Life is horrible and unfair and terrifying. But those are not reasons to stop living.
The contrast in Jasper and Catherine's personalities was an entertaining mix. I loved each scene, whether it contained their sparring of words or a declaration of affection (although I must really admit that I love it when they pissed each other). Their character connection was instantaneous and effortless but fierce, which made each encounter exciting and passion-filled. I loved this story. It kept me flipping pages until two in the morning. I just coulnd't let Jasper stay an A-hole and not see his own demise when he admits he loved Katherine! And I wasn't disappointed. Christi Caldwell is another historical romance author I will look out for!
 


post signature

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.