Tuesday, January 12, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Finding Serenity by T.E. Black

BLURB

When it was good, it was great.
When it was bad, it was worse.

My life turned into a whirlwind of destruction before I even got the chance to love her.
She could have been my angel, my saving grace; I never gave her the chance.
I gave myself a taste of her angelic kiss, convincing her to love with everything she had. Then I destroyed her. I destroyed both of us and I felt nothing as I did it.

I didn't feel anything in my sorry state.

We both had secrets and both of them would have destroyed us in one way or another. 
Hers could have possibly been bigger than mine, but I doubted it from the start.
I knew I had the quality of devastation within me the entire time.

After all,
I'm the king of lies. 
I'm the king of addiction. 
I'm the king of turmoil. 
I'm the king of motherfucking heartbreak.

MY REVIEW
4.5/5 STARS
The second in the series, T.E. Black continues to blow my mind with the stark poignancy of her writing prose. Finding Serenity deviated from the smooth-sailing, light-hearted, idealistic romance, but its effect still fir every bit I seek in a good story.

The main characters were contrasting interests and blew every page up in flames. There was a tinge of roughness amidst the heat they shared but the connection is defined throughout the book. I loved the equal strength and geniuses her characters possessed. They weren’t made to be liked but their love was paved with a realness that aren’t seen in most books.

What I loved about this gem was the spontaneity and unpredictability of the story progress. The experience of reading this book gave me mixed emotions. There were times when I completely disagree with a decision or an action, certain scenes that made me retaliate. But at the same time, there was this constant presence of their love for each other. Yes, Shay and Trent’s story definitely has imperfections. But I have to really note that that was the jewel of this book.  

If you’re searching for a sentimental, traditionally sweet romance, well this isn’t for you. Finding Serenity is raw, rough, poignant, and deep. Every bit of this gem clawed right into my heart. 

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.