Wednesday, May 20, 2015

SERIES REVIEW: The Dearest Series by Lex Martin


When I started reading this series, I knew instantly I will be completely hooked! So instead of posting a review right after each book, I marathoned it like crazy (and also because I can’t stop when I know there’s a book 2 and 3). It just didn’t give me a single thought of leaving all the books in the series unread. Each book was impossible to put down! Lex Martin created delightful and relatable characters that were hard to forget!

SERIES RATING:
 5 Stars with ten boxes of pizza 
(when I use pizza, it’s a serious matter)

BOOK 1

 Twenty-year-old Clementine Avery doesn't mind being called bitchy and closed off. It's safe, and after being burned by her high school sweetheart and stalked by a professor her freshman year of college, safe sounds pretty damn good.

Her number one rule for survival? No dating. That is until she accidentally signs up for a romance writing class and needs material for her latest assignment. Sexy RA Gavin Murphy is more than happy to play the part of book boyfriend to help Clem find some inspiration, even if that means making out...in the name of research, of course.

As Gavin and Clem grow closer, they get entangled in the mystery surrounding a missing Boston University student, and Clem unwittingly becomes a possible target. Gavin tries to show Clem she can handle falling in love again, but she knows she has to be careful because her heart’s at stake…and maybe even her life.
 photo my review_zps0x5y6u94.jpg
 photo 5 stars_zpsasbunmef.jpg

Apparently, being a bitch is my only inheritance.



Clementine’s sunny and wild personality was doused by consecutive bad events in her life. From her once active and reckless ways, she now lived independently struggling with her bills and trust issues. Clem was a relatable character. Her emotions, experiences, and doubts were real that at times I can connect with her. Her level of insecurity, distrust, and doubts didn’t make her appear like a complete damsel in distress but rather added to her empowered charm as a heroine.


He’s the shore to my tumultuous waters.


Gavin was a very refreshing hero. He was the flame that rekindled Clementine’s life with his wit, determination, charm, and heart. Everybody loved Gavin and his character was definitely made to be loved. Not only because he was hot and passionate but because he proved to be a man of substance. There was sooo much more than physical beauty and charm in Gavin. And I’m a total sucker for intelligent men. 

“I want us to have a future, I want you to be mine, and I’m willing to wait as long as you need to get there.”



The romance between Clem and Gav was instantaneous. They complimented each other’s personality and brought out the best in each other. I loved reading about their geeky jokes and journeying into the “renaissance” of Clem’s happy heart. This book was a mix of heat, wit, depth, and a whole lot of fun!

BOOK 2


When soccer all-star Jax Avery collides with Dani Hart on his twenty-first birthday, their connection is instantaneous and explosive. For the first time in years, Jax isn’t interested in his usual hit-it and quit-it approach.

But Dani knows better. Allowing herself a night to be carefree and feel the intensity of their attraction won’t change anything when it comes to dealing with a player. So when Jax doesn’t recognize Dani the next time he sees her, it shouldn’t be a total shock. The fact that he’s her new roommate's brother? That’s a shock.

Dani doesn’t regret that night with Jax, just the need to lie about it. Since her roommate has made it clear what she thinks about her brother’s “type” of girl, the last thing Dani wants is to admit what happened.

Jax knows he’s walking a fine line on the soccer team. One more misstep and he’s off the roster, his plans to go pro be damned. Except he can’t seem to care. About anything… except for the one girl who keeps invading his dreams.

Despite Jax’s fuzzy memory of his hot hookup with his sister’s friend, he can’t stay away from her, even if it means breaking his own rules. But there are bigger forces at work–realities that can end Dani’s college career and lies that can tear them apart.

Jax realizes what he’s losing if Dani walks away, but will he sacrifice his future to be with her? And will she let him if he does?

  photo my review_zps0x5y6u94.jpg
  photo 5 stars_zpsasbunmef.jpg

 I feel anchored to him, like he’s my mooring. Like I’m his.

 Dani is tired of being nice. She never thought that being nice was bad but she wanted to prove to everyone, especially herself, that she can do more things than just being nice. Dani was such a fun character to read. Her pure heart and courage to do things outside her comfort zone and find the fun in doing it established a really entertaining and inspiring aura throughout the book. She was smart, determined, strong, and sweet. Something Jax Avery was new with...
“Nice girls have the good sense to stay away from me.”

Jax Avery didn’t do nice. He goes with wild, reckless, quick, and unattached. I loved the kind of bad boy charm Jax exhibited. It wasn’t an annoying kind of cocky but a confident kind of cocky that I couldn’t help but fall in love with. As if that charm wasn’t enough, Jax also turned out to be a great brother, friend, and throughout the book he proved to be a really great man. His naughtiness and genuineness complimented wonderfully and got to me sooo bad. He would do everything for his passions—football and Dani. 


Finding Dandelion is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I know she still has a little more school, and my soccer schedule is hectic, but when we’re apart, I want her to know that she is mine and I am hers. Forever.

Jax and Dani are my favourite couple in this series! Lex Martin perfectly established their chemistry and the beautiful progress of their story strengthened that connection. I love how their differences complemented with their personalities and how their love turned out stronger after all they’ve been through. But what I ultimately love about this couple was that they never “changed” for one another. They just brought out the best in each other.

BOOK 3


What’s the worst thing about wanting a sexy NFL football player? Everyone else wants him, too.

 After catching my boyfriend getting deep-throated by a skanky cage girl, I’ve learned my lesson – never date a professional athlete. Never. Besides, I have more important things to worry about, like not blowing my shot to make it as a broadcast reporter. I won’t let anything get in my way, not even the new “it boy” of the NFL and my hot-as-hell neighbor.

What's the worst thing about getting death glares from his new neighbor? It doesn't make him want her any less.

I’ve worked my ass off to make it to the pros. The last thing I need is the complication of a relationship, especially since my last one was a total train wreck. But I can’t stop thinking about the feisty girl next door with the smart mouth. And I’d love nothing more than to show her what to do with that mouth.


Friends with benefits might be the best idea he’s ever had. Or the worst.

  photo my review_zps0x5y6u94.jpg
  photo 5 stars_zpsasbunmef.jpg

She’s more than just a beautiful girl with an awesome laugh. More than a sexy woman with a great personality. She’s just… more.

 Maddie swore off in dating professional athletes. After being cheated on by her former boyfriend, she decided to get a break from relationships and focus on her career as a newscaster. But as if the fate didn’t agree, she ended up in a sport segment surrounded by professional football players. Maddie was a really fun, smart, and sophisticated woman. She knew what she wanted and possessed both heart and determination in getting them. She was a badass woman with a pure heart.

I don’t know why, but I need this. I need her in my life. It’s like her presence settles something inside me.


Daren just reached his dream of becoming a professional football player. With all the adjustments he was going through with his freshly-claimed glory, he definitely didn’t have time for a relationship...especially after a meaningless and pretentious one with his past girlfriend. Daren was a surprise to me in this book. I knew he was a “renewed” man with what he showed on the past two books but I definitely didn’t expect to love him so much. I guess being inside his head, knowing what he felt, what he went and was willing to go through made him irresistible. He was a persevered and honest man who fought for the things and people he loved.  

My heart? That muscle in my chest that’s carried me through grueling practice after practice and workouts that made my whole body burn? It cracks open with the love I have for this girl.

Daren and Maddie shared a lot of similarities that established a friendly connection sparked by attraction and passion. I loved their relationship so much! Their interests and personality jived wonderfully. I loved that there was fondness between the two of them even if they had a fiery chemistry. Lex Martin established this really strong unspoken connection between them that made everything possible as long as they were on each other’s side. 

   

Lex Martin is a master at establishing character chemistry. It’s like I start a story and the connection between the characters are already evident and strong. And because the chemistry was well-established, it allowed me to really get into the other aspects of the story. Her plots are fast-paced and amazing! There were no boring moments and everything was perfectly placed. I can’t really say there was something lacking in her books because everything I sought out was there—romance, heat, passion, character development, and depth of story. Everything was perfectly looped in place when every book ends. Lex Martin’s emotional, witty, and entertaining prose is addictive and I can’t wait for the next book! 
 photo sig_zpsqlz7ugii.jpg

Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.