Thursday, June 8, 2017

BOOK REVIEW: A Girl Like Me by Ginger Scott



Title: A Girl Like Me
Author: Ginger Scott
Series: Like Us Series, #2
N O T   A   S T A N D A L O N E




I’m not supposed to be here.
Death has come for me more than once, and each time it’s been a boy who’s stood between me and my final breath.
I called him Christopher when he saved me as a child. When he came into my life again, only months ago, I knew him as Wes. Just as he did the time before, he disappeared the moment he made sure I was out of harm’s way; as if I didn’t need any more saving.
This time, though, death left me with a reminder of how powerful it is. I know it meant to strip me of my spirit again, but it failed.
Even so, I know I need Wes to survive. Our souls are woven together somehow, our every breath in sync. I feel it, even though everyone says I shouldn’t.
The world thinks he’s missing.
His loved ones don’t want to believe he’s dead.
Only I know just how special he is.
I’m going to find him and bring him home, where he belongs. Together, we’ll face impossible—we’ll rewrite our ending.
And when the bad guys come calling, we will always win. 



*An early copy of the book was graciously given by the author* 

There has never been a Ginger Scott book that disappointed me. Every book she writes just slays and I can’t help but be obsessed with them. A Girl Like Me contained a unique pull, a palpable plot that will leave every reader either breathless from the suspense, or panting for more.

He’s breaking me just by being, and it isn’t fair.

It’s not everyday that a reader like me encounter characters like Wes and Jos. There’s a unique streak in them that just woke up a whole new kind of curiosity in me and surprised me with emotions that aren’t always inherent in a love story. A love story. Is it, really? I guess it is because of the unconditional love the characters had for each other. But in true Ginger Scott fashion, romance worked like a secondary tone in this story. And yet it went through my heart like a bullet filled with lessons and love.

“I don’t need a hero, Wes,” I say again, pressing our foreheads tight again, my thumbs both drawing soft lines along his jaw. “I just need you.”

The depth, the plot, the twists, the characters, the suspense…all I know is I almost forgot to breathe while reading this book. I loved how unpredictable the plot was, how I didn’t know what will happen, how I wanted to read faster but wanted to absorb every word. Joselyn’s strength was such as beautiful streak in this book. She took badass to a different level. And Wes...this unique, out-of-this-world, compassionate, and hero of a man, was a mystery I loved seeing unraveled. Even the whole gang, the secondary characters, added to the depth and impact of this book. I just loved every bit of their moments.

Maybe that’s the moral of our story—we suffer and overcome, then risk again.

A Girl Like Me is the kind of book that stays in your head even after you’ve read it. It’s the kind that will chase your thoughts and provoke your mind to think. For me, it was an experience. An experience filled with pain and mistakes with their corresponding lessons. A compelling read that I’d want to read over and over. Another top read for me!


Post a Comment

© The Reading Ruth. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.